I find there’s something exciting about cleaning the BBQ getting it ready for summer, especially when it’s still so wet.
There are a couple tips to get that slightly sad looking piece of metal in the corner looking like something you can trust to cook your food.
- Break the BBQ down and scrub with hot soapy water.
- If using a gas BBQ, light it and allow it to heat up until smoking then turn off and cool.
- Cut a couple lemons in half and use to rub down the grill and flat plate, removing any left-over soap and dirt.
- Maybe just rub with a little oil and it’s ready to go.
I have also included a couple of recipes to get the pantry ready for the BBQ evenings!
Firstly a Tomato Sauce, as a Kiwi we LOVE Tomato sauce and yes this one is sugar free, just the beautiful natural sweetness of the fruit in this easy recipe.
Mike’s Sugar Free Tomato Sauce
- 8 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut horizontally
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup rosemary, thyme, parsley leaves mixed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
1 cup fresh basil leaves, parsley mixed
Preheat oven to 150 degrees
Sprinkle olive oil over an oven tray and arrange tomatoes flat
Sprinkle over garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley and a pinch of sea salt
Place in oven and leave to cook for 30 minutes
Remove herbs and transfer tomatoes to a blender add fresh basil parsley and blitz!
One of my favourites for lamb
- 2 cups fresh coriander
- 6 garlic cloves
- juice of 2 lemon
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin powder1 red chilli, seeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
Place all the ingredients into a blender and process until you have a thick paste.