Interesting facts around melons
- Melons have high nutritional value, as well as Vit C, Vit A and Vit B
- They can help to control blood pressure and regulate heart beat. (I need to eat more melons)
- Melons contain a decent of fiber, which helps to full you up. So give your kids a snack of Melon after school! or as a substitute for a high-calorie dessert
- The Yubai King melon (see attached image) is the most expensive melon in the world. Grown in small region of Japan it’s the sweetest and most juiciest melon in the world. A perfect Melon can set you back well over $20,000.
- Chinese people love to eat melons, they consume well over 8 million tons a year!
So this recipe skewers rockmelon on lemongrass sticks and its paired with toasted marshmallow and a citrus syrup to cut through all that sweetness!
Prep time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
- 10g gelatine powder
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup glucose
- ¼ cup water
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- 6 lemongrass stalks, ends trimmed
- 1 rockmelon peeled and cut into wedges
Line a deep loaf or baking tin with clingfilm or baking paper and spray with cooking spray. Dissolve gelatine in first measure of warm water. Combine sugar, glucose, salt, vanilla and second measure of water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook for 1 minute. Add the dissolved gelatine and mix. Transfer the hot mixture to the bowl of a mixer and beat on high speed (using whisk attachment) for 12 minutes until thick and cool. Pour into prepared tin, smooth and refrigerate until set.
Using a hot, wet knife, cut the marshmallow into 3cm x 3cm cubes. Dip the knife into hot water between each cut. Thread 3 pieces of marshmallow onto each lemongrass skewer and grill on a hot BBQ until golden.
Arrange marshmallow and rock melon on a serving plate and drizzle with citrus syrup.
- 1 tbsp honey
- juice of 2 limes
Place honey and lime juice in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.