A hearty winter soup served up with the best part of the dish, Parmesan and garlic buttered bread! It’s so deliciously good. The better the bread the better the chew factor.
A wonderful dish for these cold winter nights Perfect!
Hearty Veggie Soup w Parmesan Butter Bread
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 carrots, peeled and large diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 x 400g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 ltr water
- 1 stock cube
- ½ tsp crushed toasted fennel seeds
- 5 large silverbeet leaves, destalked and roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 x Ciabatta loaf
Preheat an oven to 180*c
Heat oil in a large pot or cast iron dish. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add carrot, celery and bay leaves. Cook for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, water and stock cube. Cook for 20 minutes and add the lemon zest. Cook on a low heat for another 30 minutes.
Take the ciabatta loaf and slice down ¾ of the way into 1 cm slices. Fill the gaps with a generous amount of Parmesan butter and then wrap in tin foil before placing into the oven for 15 minutes.
Serve the piping hot soup with freshly toasted bread, ripped into pieces.
- 150g butter softened
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.